Tom is a solicitor in the Employment team, based in our Newcastle office. Tom provides advice on contentious and non-contentious employment law to clients throughout the private and public sectors. Tom is a member of the firm's Education team and provides advice to a number of multi-academy trusts.
Tom provides advice on all aspects of employment law, including:
- Day-to-day employment law and HR queries;
- Managing complex disciplinary, capability, grievance, redundancy and sickness absence processes;
- Preparation of contractual and policy documents;
- TUPE transfers and support on employment-related matters within commercial/corporate transactions;
- Collective agreements, collective consultation and trade union issues;
- Settlement negotiations and Employment Tribunal claims, particularly those with discrimination and whistleblowing angles
Tom has acted in a number of cases before the Employment Appeal Tribunal and the Court of Appeal.
In addition to providing advice within the schools sector, Tom has also advised a number of clients within the further and higher education sectors, including providing detailed advice and strategic recommendations to a large higher education institution regarding equal pay issues and pay structures. Tom also has considerable experience of acting for clients in the health and housing industries.
Tom regularly provides general law updates and bespoke training to our clients.