Laura Darnley’s spotlight was excellent, being very informative and helpful in breaking down what options employers have when it comes to employing EU nationals and breaking down the differences between workers with settled/pre-settled status and those without.
Laura’s experience includes:
- Advising a household name food manufacturer on all aspects of immigration law including sponsorship of key staff under the Skilled Worker and Global Business Mobility routes, sponsorship of graduates under the specific Graduate Trainee route and advising on the legal requirements relating to their globally mobile workforce (including business visitor visas, Schengen visas and Frontier Worker Permits). Laura also reviewed and advised on their policies and compliance and provided bespoke training to key personnel in relation to all of these issues.
- Advising an international engineering business on the legal requirements under the Skilled Worker and Global Business Mobility visa rules to enable them to maximise opportunities for growth and to fill key skill gaps from their global workforce. This included advice to the employer as well as preparing and successfully submitting applications for their employees and all of their dependent family members.
- Successfully advising a care provider on their sponsor licence application and the sponsorship of a large number of care workers.
- Successfully advising a hospitality business on their sponsor licence application following revocation of their previous licence, including successfully passing a digital compliance audit from UK Visas & Immigration.
- Successfully advising an international business that designs, produces and maintains industrial equipment on the particular legal issues associated with European national overseas contractors attending the UK to work on their short term projects, particularly in relation to the permitted business visitor activities. Laura also advised this business on the legal options for short term internships, specifically focussing on legal alternatives to employer sponsorship.
- Advising businesses looking to expand into the UK on the different legal options including the Global Business Mobility Expansion Worker, Start Up/Innovator (under the rules in place at the time), along with Skilled Worker/Global Business Mobility.
- Acting as the UK Visas & Immigration named Legal Representative and Level 1 user on the sponsor licence for national businesses in the care, food production, engineering and technology sectors.
- Advising a multinational engineering business on all of their employment issues, including preparing new contracts of employment, post termination restrictions and managing day to day disputes.
- Advising a recycling business on day to day employment issues and disputes, including dismissals and exits at all levels (including senior management), whistleblowing claims, allegations of discrimination (including disability discrimination, race discrimination and sex discrimination), reorganisations and redundancies and defending employment tribunal claims.
- Advising recruitment businesses in relation to employee/worker/self-employed status and IR35 and defending employment tribunal claims arising from the same.
- Laura is a contributor to legal publications in the field of immigration, including Practical Law and Lexis PSL
- Laura was listed in Legal 500 Next Generation Partner