Ward Hadaway has successfully defended a judicial review claim in respect of planning permission for a multi-million pound garden village development in County Durham.
Team Ward Hadaway are passionate about sport.
From advising an elite sports club to setting up a charitable foundation; whether building a new stadium or advising on a sponsorship arrangement; when exerting ourselves to raise money for charity or commentating for our favourite ice hockey team you always get 100% effort and total commitment.
Our team has experience across the board when it comes to supporting teams, owners, athletes, funders, NGBs, charities and intermediaries operating in or around sport. Fundamentally, we are trusted because we understand the power of sport – to bring people together, to enhance communities, to add to health and well-being – as well as its commercial potential. We work hard to support our many clients to achieve their best, by offering specialist, commercial, and practical advice.
We also put our own time and money where our mouth is.
Read more below about the work that Ward Hadaway and its sports team lawyers have done over a great many years and then contact one of our team to talk about how we might be able to support you.
Who have our lawyers worked with?
- High Street Bank – financing premier league and championship football clubs
- Darlington FC
- Durham County Cricket Club
- England Fencing
- Great Run Company
- Leeds United Football Club
- Newcastle Falcons and Newcastle Falcons Foundation
- Newcastle United
- Northumbria University’s City Centre Sports Facility
- Scarborough Athletic Football Club
- South of England Athletics Association
- Sunderland Foundation of Light and SAFC
- The Amateur Athletic Association of England
- The FA
- Top tier racecourses
- York City FC
- Local authorities with regard to funding sporting facilities
- Numerous non-league, amateur and school sports clubs
- Commercial sponsors and commercial rights licencees
- Sports suppliers, including GRN Sportswear and Hardy & Greys
- Many individual athletes and their agents from a range of sports including: football, rugby, boxing, golf, athletics, basketball and ice hockey
The work that we have done
- Acquisitions, disposals and investments
- Bank finance and grant funding
- Charitable status, Community Interest Company status and Community Amateur Sports Club status
- Commercial agreements
- Commercial disputes
- Company secretarial
- Construction advice
- Debt recovery and insolvency
- Employment matters, including disciplinary, dismissal and TUPE transfers
- Management agreements
- Media rights and image rights
- Sales, leases and other property matters
- Sponsorship agreements, licensing agreements and naming rights
- Personal work including: divorce, prenuptials, issues around children, financial disputes, wills and estates, road traffic offences, specialist pensions advice, property conveyancing
Supporting where we can
- Club sponsor of Newcastle Falcons Rugby Union
- Sponsor of the new Spirit of Super League Award – part of the BetFred Super League Awards
- Sponsor of Falcons Community Foundation summer mixed touch rugby league for 17 years
- Supporter of numerous non-league and amateur clubs in various sports for adults and children across the communities in which we live and work
Getting involved and giving something back – past and present
- Considerable contributor to the development of the Beacon of Light health, education and events venue
- Organisers of 3 Points North, a 36-hour relay run from Manchester to Newcastle via Leeds to raise money for charity
- Chair of Northumberland Golf Club
- Chair of Tyne United Rowing Club
- Chair of the Development Board of the Foundation of Light
- Trustee and Director of Tyne and Wear Sport
- Trustee of CoCo, a charity chaired by Steve Cram OBE creating the opportunity for children to break the cycle of poverty
- Run Director at Durham parkrun
- Manager at Heaton Stannington Amateur Football Club
- Organisers of Ward Hadaway’s own running club, which has taken 60 members through the Couch to 5K programme
- Commentating for a semi-professional ice Hockey Team
…and winners in our own right
- Olympic track and field competitor
- Olympic sailor
- Commonwealth Games medallist
- Winner of the British Transplant Games Handicap Golf Cup
- An individual targeting the six “major” international marathons
- International ultramarathon runner, including Marathon des Sables, Jordan Desert Cup, British Adventure Racing Championships and Yellowstone 100 miles
- Falcons Academy Rugby player
- A team member that has gone on a run every single day since August 30th 2008!
Our partners, Newcastle Falcons, have recently launched Business @ Newcastle Falcons. This exclusive club will offer networking, brand awareness and business development opportunities for businesses from across the North East. Click here for further details.
To find out more how we can help you, contact Ian McCombie in the first instance.