Tristan is a specialist commercial regulatory, risk management and compliance lawyer with more than 20 years' experience advising clients across sectors including healthcare.
Tristan’s areas of expertise focus on three principle areas:
He is ranked in Legal 500 as a key individual and has acted in some of the best known anti-trust cases of recent years and has helped businesses assess their competition risk then successfully devise and roll out compliance and training programs. He is retained by household name organisations to advise on commercial issues such as supply and distribution agreements and internet trading policies. Clients have praised his “knowledge, commitment, enthusiasm and expertise” and appreciate that “he always has his clients’ interests at heart”.
Health, Safety and Environmental
Tristan is described by Legal 500 as a “first class health and safety lawyer” and is properly regarded as one of the leading H&S lawyers in the North. He was described in Legal 500 as having “significant experience of complex and high profile cases and [being] a great tactical thinker. He has formidable judgement and fantastic client skills”.
Tristan has particular expertise in helping clients develop crisis management planning and incident response protocols and in Chambers is described as “calm and supportive when advising on regulatory issues. He is very responsive to tight deadlines and offers very practical advice”. He has acted in numerous fatal accident cases and high profile HSE and EA matters across sectors. He designs risk management and accident impact training and has developed award winning product-based approaches to delivering regulatory services.
General Regulation and Corporate Crime
Tristan has experience in advising in the regulated care sector in CQC enquiries, on issues related to medical devices and for NHS entities in a number of compliance-related matters.
Beyond these areas he has been retained in several noted complex fraud cases including tax, carousel and missing trader cases. He has acted in numerous trading standards investigations and has significant experience in food safety cases, having acted for a number GCA regulated Grocers.
- Construction Bid-Rigging – represented 14 of businesses in infringement proceedings up to appeals on penalty
- Supply of products to the furniture industry: anti-competitive arrangements
- Replica football kit price-fixing
- Merger Enquiries in various sectors including Estate Agency, Bus Services, Chemicals and Waste
- Defending follow-on claims
Environment, Health & Safety
- Defending and advising in numerous Corporate Manslaughter/Gross Negligence Manslaughter investigations and prosecutions acting for organisations and individuals across multiple sectors
- Acting in many HSE/Local Authority investigations and prosecutions arising from workplace accidents and incidents across all sectors.
- Numerous EA investigations and enforcement proceedings into transfrontier shipment, permit and authorization breaches, pollution incidents and noise/odor issues
- Transactional due diligence
General Regulation/Corporate Crime
- Missing Trader fraud and subsequent DDQ proceedings
- UK Property investment fraud
- Danish Dividend Tax reclaim fraud
- DVSA investigation into aftermarket parts manufacturer for supplying products which failed to meet required environmental standards.