Tim is a partner in the commercial team and is based in the Newcastle office.
He originally specialised in company formations, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions until 1995 when he became increasingly involved in public sector projects.
Tim specialises in health PFI, working on schemes such as the redevelopment of the RVI and Freeman Hospitals in Newcastle, the “Northern Batch” Scheme in Salford and Tameside as well as new cancer centres in Leeds and Belfast. He has also advised local authorities on school PFI projects.
He mainly advises public sector clients such as NHS Trusts, Academy Trusts and local authorities.
Tim often writes articles on issues relating to public services and procurement and has spoken at international conferences on the subject.
Tim has advised on a series of major projects across the public sector.
His work has included:
- Advising groups of schools on conversion to Multi-Academy Trust status
- Advising existing Multi-Academy Trusts on the addition of new schools
- Advising individual schools converting to Academy status
- Advising on the conversion of Church Schools and Foundation Schools to Academy status
- Advising South Tyneside and Gateshead Councils on their joint Building Schools for the Future project, which included a health centre for South Tyneside PCT
- Advising Newcastle City Council on their first grouped schools PFI scheme
- Advising Newcastle City Council on their libraries PFI scheme
- Advising North Cumbria Acute NHS on their PFI project to develop the New Cumberland Infirmary
- Advising Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust on their £300m PFI scheme to redevelop the RVI and Freeman Hospitals
- Advising Belfast City Hospital HSS Trust on their PFI cancer centre
- Advising The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust on their £200m PFI scheme to build and equip the new Cancer Wing at St James’ Hospital
- Advising both Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust and Tameside General NHS Foundation Trust on their batched PFI scheme
- Advising the Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust on their £300m PFI scheme to redevelop Pontefract and Pinderfields Hospitals
- Acting as lead partner and adviser to the Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive on the procurement of an operator for the Tyne and Wear Metro
- Advising several NHS Trusts on the procurement of combined heat and power (CHP) schemes
- Advising Newcastle City Council on the procurement of a district heating system at Riverside Dene
- Acting as lead partner on the Gateshead Council district energy scheme
- Advising the Association of Council Secretaries and Solicitors (now Lawyers in Local Government) on the drafting of a new standard local authority constitution
- Advising a CCG on a procurement challenge by a primary care provider
- Advising public sector bodies on compliance with the procurement regulations