Colin is head of the Company Commercial Team at Ward Hadaway.
He heads a large multi-disciplinary team of lawyers across our office network advising on company law and governance, contract law, competition law, charity law, intellectual property, IT and information law and public sector issues.
Colin has advised a wide range of companies and public bodies on company, corporate and partnership law as well as trading structures, commercial agreements. directors duties and governance, Colin also heads the firm’s team which undertakes a range of initiatives supporting inward investors, new and fast growing businesses and entrepreneurs.
As a Legal 500 leading individual, Colin is widely recognised as an expert in corporate governance issues, the structuring of large-scale projects and the organisation of incorporated and unincorporated structures, with a particular focus on joint ventures, and public/private partnerships.
His experience in relation to corporate structures, corporate governance and directors’ duties is complemented by his expertise in dealing with shareholder, partnership and LLP agreements and disputes and he has advised on a number of high profile, high value shareholder and partnership disputes.
Colin is also noted for his experience in the energy sector. He is a director of the industry body NOF Energy Limited and is recommended by Legal 500 as a leading adviser in the sector. He is also a leading figure in the local economy being a member of the strategic advisory board of the Newcastle Gateshead Initiative Limited, a director of the Open North Foundation and a trustee of the charity Building Futures East.
Projects on which he has advised include:
- Acting for North East Finance in relation to the North East JEREMIE 1 fund
- Advising on the commercial arrangements required to establish the North East JEREMIE 2 fund
- Acting for a major social housing provider on all aspects its governance and organizational structure
- Advising on the re-organisation of Newcastle Science Central LLP in relation to its multi-million pound property joint venture with Legal and General
- Advising a local authority on the reorganization of its economic development activities into a new group of companies
- Advising on the establishment of a significant commercial manufacturing facility and its relationship with a not for profit training facility providing ancillary services
- Advising on the termination of a series of limited partnership investment funds and the realisation or transfer of investments held to the holding fund vehicle
- Advising on a shareholder dispute between two 50% shareholders in relation to one of the country’s fastest growing companies
- Acting for two of the regions fastest growing businesses in establishing their corporate structures including various different share incentive arrangements
Colin edits the firm’s client insights for the retail, local authority and air transport sectors and its weekly Brexit briefing.
Colin also acts as a mentor to a number of growing businesses.