Andrew is a chartered town planner in our property department.
He became a member of the Royal Town Planning Institute in 1996 and has been a planning consultant with Ward Hadaway for more than 20 years. He has worked throughout the north of the country and beyond.
Previously he was a planning officer with three local planning authorities.
Additionally he has had a period of secondment with a national house builder.
Clients include developers, businesses, estates, land owners, pressure groups and private individuals.
Andrew additionally has had instructions from public sector organisations and is NEPRO accredited.
Andrew has particular expertise in cases which are contentious and where there are difficult policy, legal and technical issues.
Whilst in local government Andrew undertook a range of tasks including determining planning applications, preparing development briefs, advising in relation to permitted development, giving informal advice and contributing to the preparation of development plans from the development management perspective. He also was involved in enforcement.
At Ward Hadaway he has been involved in numerous projects including:
- Planning Appraisals;
- Advising on the need for permission;
- The availability of permitted development rights;
- Advising on the likelihood of permission being granted;
- Advising on the strategy for obtaining permission;
- Preparing and submitting planning applications for a wide range of developments;
- Contributing to Environmental Statements;
- Preparing and submitting planning appeals;
- Advising on conditions attached to planning permissions including occupancy conditions, personal conditions, time limiting conditions and pre-commencement conditions;
- Preparing and submitting applications to vary planning conditions;
- Advising in relation to the lawful implementation of planning permissions;
- Advising on and obtaining Certificates of Lawfulness of Existing Development;
- Advising on and obtaining Certificates of Lawfulness of Proposed Development;
- Giving Listed Building advice, the submission of applications for Listed Building Consent and appealing against the refusal of Listed Building Consent;
- Advising in circumstances where enforcement action is threatened and / or instigated including;
- Retrospective planning applications;
- Immunity from enforcement action;
- Responding to Planning Contravention Notices;
- Enforcement Notice appeals;
- Section 215 ‘Tidy Land’ Notice appeals;
- Listed Building Enforcement Notice appeals;
- Advising in relation to Breach of Condition Notices;
- Advising in relation to Section 52 Agreements;
- Negotiating and renegotiating Section 106 Agreements;
- Due diligence;
- Objections to planning applications including presentations to Planning Committee;
- Judicial Review;
- Promoting land for development in the Development Plan preparation process;
- Influencing policy in the Development Plan preparation process.
Andrew has appeared as an expert witness on many occasions. This includes appearances at planning and enforcement hearings, at inquires, in development plan inquiries / Examinations in Public, in the Magistrates Court and in the County Court.