Many commercial contracts contain "force majeure" clauses which provide that, if certain events occur which are outside the parties’ reasonable control, a party who is unable to meet its contractual obligations will be excused from doing.
Rob has represented a wide variety of clients across a number of sectors in relation to a range of contentious commercial matters, including complex contractual disputes, professional negligence claims against professional advisors, and media and communications matters including defamation, harassment, privacy and data protection claims.
Rob’s recent experience includes:
- Achieving a multi-million dollar settlement of a cross jurisdiction, contractual dispute for a manufacturing client, involving issues of authority and mistake.
- Acting on behalf of a large utility broker in obtaining interim and final injunctive relief to restrain the misuse of confidential customer information by former employees
- Providing reputation management advice and support to public and private sector clients in relation to various matters, including threatened print and broadcast media reports, including as to the possibility of seeking urgent injunctive relief
- Acting in defence of a multi-million pound commercial agency dispute concerning novel arguments around the interpretation and application of the 1993 Commercial Agents Regulations. The claim was settled at mediation
- Successfully applying to strike out High Court proceedings pursued by a former employee of an NHS Trust, raising a number of different allegations, bringing to an end a decade-long dispute
- Settling a long-running shareholder dispute concerning a high-profile local family business
- Advising a PLC client in relation to defamation proceedings and linked injunctive relief to restrain harassment by a litigant in person
- Acting on behalf of various private and public sector clients in relation to issues arising from alleged GDPR infringements and privacy/misuse of private information disputes
- Advising a multi-national manufacturing company in relation to the termination of a distribution agreement and potential trademark infringement by the distributor