Very informative and interactive, I gained more confidence and knowledge regarding the complaints process.
The aim of the course is to equip those working in health care settings with an understanding of how complaints arise and escalate and how to resolve them fully, constructively and in accordance with the NHS complaint standards.
Upon successful completion of the course delegates will be able to:
- Understand triggers for conflict and complaints,
- Ascertain all the elements of a complaint and how to resolve it effectively and in accordance with the NHS complaint standards,
- Understand how early and effective resolution of complaints can avoid ongoing problems and PHSO investigations.
1. Causes of Conflict:
- Understanding the general triggers and factors which commonly cause conflict and exploring typical triggers within the health sector.
- Understanding how conflict can escalate to a formal complaint.
- Understanding how formal complaints can remain unresolved.
2. PHSO Complaint Standards:
- What are the complaint standards
- Key elements of the standards and how to handle complaints in accordance with them
3. Resolving Complaints:
- Structuring a resolution plan – using mediation techniques to separate needs from wants and getting the most out of an introductory meeting with a complainant – summarising concerns, reframing inflammatory language, asking open questions, listening and communicating well.
- Narrowing down the issues and putting together a resolution plan.
- How to write a good complaints response.