Philippa acts for a wide variety of construction and engineering clients including contractors, developers, employers, subcontractors, consultants, procurement specialists and Local Authorities.
She is regularly instructed from project inception to post contract dispute resolution. She advises on contracts, appointments and warranties on the transactional side. She also advises on the major forms of alternative dispute resolution using both JCT and NEC standard form contracts and bespoke contracts. In addition, she has public inquiry and PFI arbitration experience. Examples of her experience include:
- Advising a university regarding defects in an all-weather outdoor pitch in a warranty claim against an international materials supplier installer.
- Advising a Local Authority’s project team on two major infrastructure projects in the healthcare and transportation sector under an NEC3 construction contract.
- Advising a Local Authority on development works within a railway station and a variation to a building contract to incorporate an NEC3 construction contract.
- Advising on a mediation and settlement for a contractor and subsequent liquidator, relating to alleged significant mechanical and engineering heating and ventilation defects in a care home, engaged under a Development Agreement.
- Advising a contractor in a dispute with an insolvent subcontractor’s liquidator regarding materials which were subject to a vesting certificate.
- Advising a contractor in a dispute with a supplier regarding a potential claim for increased material prices under a supply agreement.
- Advising a Local Authority on potential fire safety defects in a mixed-use development’s multi storey car park and consideration of potential breaches of legislation.
- Advising an employer on alleged mechanical and engineering defects in a residential development under a bespoke building contract.
- Assisting a client as a Core Participant within a Public Inquiry.
- Advising a contractor regarding alleged fire safety defects within a hospital appointed under a PFI Agreement with its adjudication and subsequent arbitration.
- Advising the McAleer & Rushe Group in relation to the redevelopment of a retail facility into a luxury hotel including the negotiation of all project documents and the novation of the design team under a Design and Build Contract for use in Scotland 2016 edition.
- Assisting a Local Authority’s development arm with post Tolent insolvency related contract renegotiation in relation to two leisure facilities.
- Preparing construction tender documents for a Local Authority in relation to the redevelopment of an existing building for a mixed use purpose including an adult skills facility using sustainable technologies.