Alex is well known for his calm, measured and positive approach to matters.
Alex has over 25 years’ experience of advising clients of all sizes in all aspects of intellectual property and information technology.
He advises a number of multi-national companies, plcs and public sector bodies and has a wide expertise in handling complex transactions, including research and development contracts, IT systems and telecoms agreements, technology licensing contracts and international collaboration agreements.
His specific experience includes:
- Advising businesses in the life sciences, pharmaceutical and medical devices sector. Clients include PCCA, TRB Chemedica (UK) and Motac Neuroscience
- Acting for creative industries businesses, in particular in the fashion, digital media, film and publishing industries. Clients include Tech Nation and Qrious
- Providing legal advice and support for start-ups and spin-out businesses. He has acted in connection with the spinning out of a number of new companies from Universities, most notably from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. Recent spin outs he has completed are for Cellularevolution, Pulmobiomed and Dragonfly Insulation
- Acting for suppliers and purchasers of software, SaaS platforms and IT systems. Clients include ScS Sofas, Keepmoat Homes and a number of NHS Trusts
- Business support and mentoring advice to start-up companies which are supported through programs run by organisations such as Teesside University’s Launchpad, and Newcastle University’s Rise Up
- A particular expertise in dealing with trade mark and branding issues and acts for several well known brands. His work includes advising on strategic brand management, international protection of brands and trade mark opposition and infringement proceedings.