What can I do to make sure my home-working people are doing so safely?
- Keep in touch. If contact is poor, workers can feel disconnected, isolated or abandoned. This can adversely affect stress levels and mental health – especially in the current crisis when everyone is feeling more anxious.
- Think about the use of laptops/devices (DSE) at home. Provide a basic form of risk assessment for self-completion.
- Remind workers of simple steps to reduce the risks from display screen work:
- take regular breaks (at least 5 minutes every hour) or change activity
- avoid awkward, static postures by regularly changing position
- get up and move or do stretching exercises
- avoid eye fatigue by changing focus or blinking from time to time