Skip to content

What are my visa options after my course of study ends?

Most commonly, students switch to a Skilled Worker visa (formerly the Tier 2 General visa). This requires you to obtain a job offer from an employer which holds a sponsor licence. More information about the Skilled Worker visa can be foundĀ here.

You may also be eligible to apply for the Graduate visa (see below). The Graduate visa route launched in July 2021.

If your plan is to start your own business in the UK, the Start-up or Innovator visa may be more suitable. For further information about these visas, please see here.

There are also alternative visa options including, but not limited to the Temporary Worker (Youth Mobility Scheme) and Temporary Worker (Government Authorised Exchange) visas. For further information about these visas and your options after your studies end, pleaseĀ contact us.

Read more about this and other questions in our

Students section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.