You are required to prove your knowledge of the English language in order to apply for ILR unless an exemption applies. This can be done by:
- providing evidence that you have a degree that has been taught or researched in English (whether in the UK or overseas); or
- by taking an approved Home Office English language test at level B1, B2, C1 or C2.
You do not need to prove your English language abilities if you are:
- under 18 or over 65 years old;
- unable to because of a long term physical or mental condition – instead you need to provide medical evidence; or
- you are from a majority English speaking country – a list of these countries can be found here.