Skip to content

Can we sponsor a student for a Skilled Worker Visa?

Yes – so long as the student has:

  • obtained an eligible qualification, or
  • completed their course of study or are due to complete it within 3 months, or
  • completed 12 months of a PhD.

Sponsoring a student means that you don’t have to pay the Immigration Skills Surcharge and will be eligible to pay a slightly lower salary.

Read more about this and other questions in our

Skilled Worker (for businesses) section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.