Skip to content

What is the Student visa route?

In October 2020, the Tier 4 (General) student visa route was replaced by the “Student visa” route.

The Student visa is for applicants aged 16 or over who want to study in the UK on a course of further or higher education, a pre-sessional English course, a recognised foundation programme, on the Doctorate Extension Scheme or to take an elected post as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer.

These questions focus on applicants for higher education courses. For other types of student visa application including doctorate extension scheme, child visas and short-term visas, pleaseĀ contact us.

Read more about this and other questions in our



Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.