Skip to content

What is the financial requirement for the Student visa route?

The financial requirement to be met is quite complicated and depends on a number of factors.

The starting point is that if you are applying for a student visa to come to the UK or to remain in the UK, you must provide evidence to show that you have at least:

  • £1,334 for each month of your course, up to a maximum of 9 months where you are applying to study in London; and
  • £1,023 for each month of your course, up to a maximum of 9 months where you are applying to study outside of London.

You must have held this money for at least 28 consecutive days. Please also note that the end date of the 28-day period must be within 31 days of the date that you apply for your Student visa.

You must also show that you have sufficient funds to pay any outstanding course fees as stated on the CAS. If you have financial sponsorship or a student loan, you will need to provide evidence of this.

If you have already been living in the UK with a valid visa for 12 months or more at the time you apply, you will automatically meet the financial requirement and do not need to provide documentary evidence.

In addition, you do not need to prove the financial requirement if you are applying as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer or to study on a recognised foundation programme as a doctor or dentist in training.

For further information about deposits that can be offset from this financial requirement and what evidence to provide to show that you meet the requirement, please contact us.

Read more about this and other questions in our



Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.