Skip to content

What is the English language requirement?

You will usually need to prove your knowledge of the English language by demonstrating that you can read, write, speak and understand English at Level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.

This can be done with any of the following:

  • passing a secure English language test (SELT) from an approved provider;
  • having a GSCE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, gained through study at a UK school that you began when you were under 18; or
  • having a degree-level academic qualification that was taught in English (if this was studied abroad it will need to be confirmed through Ecctis to ensure it is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree of PhD).

Nationals of a majority English-speaking country (as defined by the Home Office) and those who have already evidenced their knowledge of English at level B1 for a previous UK visa, will not have to prove their knowledge of English language.

Read more about this and other questions in our



Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.