Skip to content

What is the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)?

Some applicants are required to obtain an ATAS certificate in order to be able to apply for their Student visa. This is required for courses which lead to a master’s degree, PhD or other postgraduate qualification or for periods of study or research which are part of an overseas postgraduate qualification. It applies to certain academic subjects only.

Nationals of the following countries, are exempt from the requirement to provide an ATAS certificate: UK, EU countries, EEA countries, Switzerland, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the USA.

Read more about this and other questions in our



Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.