Skip to content

Can I extend my Student visa?

If you already have a Student visa or a Tier 4 (General) student visa you may be able to extend your visa.

To extend your visa, the following must apply:

  • you are in the UK on a Student visa or a Tier 4 (General) student visa;
  • you meet the eligibility requirements of this visa (see above);
  • you have an unconditional offer with a licensed student sponsor; and
  • your studies are at a higher academic level than your current course (subject to certain exceptions).

You can typically extend your visa under the Student visa route for 5 years (please see below). You will need a new CAS number to extend your visa (please see above).

Read more about this and other questions in our

Students section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.