Skip to content

Can I bring my family to the UK with me under my student visa?

If you obtain the student visa, your family members (known as “dependants”) might be able to apply to join or stay in the UK with you if they are your:

  • spouse or partner; and/or
  • children under the age of 18.

In order to be able to apply for a visa for your dependants, you (the student and main visa holder), must be:

  • sponsored on a master’s (or equivalent) level course or above that lasts 9 months or more; or
  • a new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than 6 months; or
  • a Doctorate Extension Scheme student.

You must also show that your dependants can be supported while they are in the UK. Each dependant must show that they have a certain amount of money available to them and that it has been in your or their bank account for at least 28 consecutive days before the application. The maintenance sum will depend on individual circumstances. Please contact us for more information.

Read more about this and other questions in our



Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.