Skip to content

English language requirement

Make sure you understand how to meet the English Language requirement before making your application. You must have either (1) passed a recognised English Language test at level B1 (intermediate); (2) have a degree that was taught or researched in English or (3) demonstrate that you are a citizen of a majority English speaking country who does not need to satisfy this requirement.

If required, you should book an English language test before you reach the qualifying period, so as not to delay your application. If you have a degree taught in English which is from an overseas university, you will need a copy of your degree certificate and a letter from Ecctis confirming your degree is equivalent to a UK qualification and that it was taught in English. You should obtain these documents as soon as possible.

Read more about this and other questions in our



Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.