Skip to content


Ensure you have an accurate record of your absences over the qualifying period (usually 5 years).  You must not exceed 180 days’ absence in any 12 month period but remember that only whole days outside the UK are included in the calculation. If you can’t recall your absences from the UK, you can request a DSAR from the Home Office to obtain this information but this may result in delays.

Helpfully, absences for dependant children aren’t counted so you only need to consider your absences and the absences of any dependant partner.

Read more about this and other questions in our



Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.