Skip to content

Who is this route for?

The partner route allows a partner of either a British citizen or someone settled in the UK (i.e. someone who has Indefinite Leave to Remain) to live and work in the UK. Partners of those who have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK may also be able to apply.

In all cases you and your partner must be 18 years of age or older.

Read more about this and other questions in our

Partner Visas section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.