Skip to content

What is the financial requirement for this visa?

If you are applying under the partner route and wish to obtain ILR in the UK, you and your partner will need to have a combined income of at least £18,600 per annum.

If your children are not British citizens, EEA nationals or settled, you will also need to show that you have income of:

  • £3,800 for your first child
  • £2,400 for each child you have after your first child

You may be able to use cash savings instead of income, and you can use a mixture of different income sources in some circumstances. You and your partner can prove that you have met the financial requirement through your:

  • UK income from employment before tax and National Insurance
  • income from self-employment or as a director of a limited company in the UK
  • cash savings above £16,000
  • money from a pension
  • non-work income, such as income from property rentals, dividends, interest from savings etc.

You must provide supporting evidence to show this income and the Home Office have set rules on what this must be depending on the income source or savings you seek to rely upon.

The rules on the financial requirement are extremely complex and can often trip applicants up. Applicants are often rejected for providing the wrong type of evidence for the income they are trying to prove.

We have extensive experience of advising applicants on how they can meet the financial requirement and the documents they need to provide as evidence, for more information on how we can help you, please contact us.

Read more about this and other questions in our

Partner Visas section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.