Skip to content

What is the difference between the fiancé/proposed civil partner visa and the marriage visitor visa?

The fiancé/proposed civil partner and the marriage visitor visa are both valid for six months and allow you to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK.

However, marriage visitor visas are for individuals who intend on getting married/entering into a civil partnership in the UK but do not want to stay or settle in the UK permanently. After 6 months, marriage visitor visa holders must leave the UK and cannot extend their visa or apply to switch to a visa under the spousal route.

Only a fiancé/proposed civil partner visa allows you to apply for a visa under the spousal route in the UK after you marry or enter into a civil partnership. This may then lead to indefinite leave to remain (“ILR”) in the UK after 5 years.

It is therefore essential that you understand which visa you are applying for.

Read more about this and other questions in our

Partner Visas section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.