Skip to content

What is the accommodation requirement?

If you are applying for a partner visa you must show that:

  • there will be adequate accommodation for you in the UK;
  • you do not need to rely on public funds; and
  • you are in accommodation which your family owns or occupies exclusively.

The accommodation will not be considered adequate if it:

  • is, or will be, overcrowded; or
  • contravenes public health regulations.

You must provide evidence of how your accommodation is owned or occupied. This can be done by providing:

  • a copy of the title deeds;
  • evidence of the mortgage arrangements;
  • a letter from a family member confirming the basis on which you can reside at the property; and/or
  • evidence from a local authority confirming how you reside at the property.

One reason why applications can be rejected is because visa applicants fail to understand the complicated rules on how many rooms are needed in their case and fail to provide the necessary evidence.  If you would like to know more information about supporting documents, please contact us.

Read more about this and other questions in our

Partner Visas section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.