Skip to content

I am married/in a civil partnership – what requirements do I need to meet?

To be eligible for this visa, you will need to show that you are in a marriage or civil partnership that is recognised in the UK with a British citizen. This will typically require you to submit your marriage or civil partnership certificate.

You will also need to show that you:

  • are in a “genuine and subsisting relationship”;
  • have a good knowledge of English (see below);
  • can financially support yourself and your dependants (see below); and
  • can satisfy the “accommodation requirement”.

Read more about this and other questions in our

Partner Visas section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.