Skip to content

Do I need to be married/ be in a civil partnership with my partner to apply for this type of visa?

No. You do not need to be married or in a civil partnership to apply for this visa. You are able to apply for this visa if you:

  • are married or in a civil partnership (under the spousal route);
  • are a fiancĂ© or proposed civil partner (under the fiancĂ© or proposed civil partner route); or
  • have lived with your partner for 2 years or more (under the unmarried partner route).

Each of the visa options have slightly different criteria which are detailed below.

Read more about this and other questions in our

Partner Visas section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.