Skip to content

Can I switch to this visa from my current visa?

You may be able to switch to this visa if you meet the eligibility criteria detailed above and you are wanting to stay in the UK with your partner.

You can switch to this visa at any time before your current UK visa expires.

You will not be able to switch to this visa if:

  • your family member is in the UK temporarily on a work visa or student visa; or
  • you have a visitor visa, such as a marriage visitor visa, or a visa for 6 months or less (unless it is a fiancĂ© or proposed civil partner visa).

Read more about this and other questions in our

Partner Visas section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.