Skip to content

What if I have permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain?

Both of these statuses grant the holder the right to remain in the UK on a permanent basis and will have been granted under the old systems in place before the EUSS was introduced.

Anyone with a valid permanent residence document must have applied under the EUSS by 30 June 2021 to convert this to settled status.  If they didn’t their permanent residence will no longer be valid and they won’t have the right to remain in the UK.

Anyone with indefinite leave to remain will keep this status as there was no requirement for them to apply under the EUSS.

Read more about this and other questions in our

EU Settlement Scheme section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.