Skip to content

Which is better – Skilled Worker visa or a Senior or Specialist Worker visa?

Employees will usually prefer to be sponsored for a Skilled Worker visa because it leads to settlement in the UK whereas the Senior or Specialist Worker  visa is a temporary visa and they have to leave the UK at the end of it.

However, Tier 2 ICT and Senior or Specialist Worker visa holders are able to switch  to a Skilled Worker visa which also means that they will subsequently be able to apply for ILR after holding the Skilled Worker visa for 5 years.

For the employer, the Senior or Specialist Worker visa is usually a little quicker and easier to obtain. The applicant also doesn’t have to meet the English language eligibility criteria.  However the minimum salary for the Senior or Specialist Worker visa is often higher than for the Skilled Worker visa.

Read more about this and other questions in our



Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.