Skip to content

UK Expansion Worker

UK Expansion Worker

The Global Business Mobility UK Expansion Worker route is for overseas workers who are senior managers or specialist employees and is being assigned to the UK to undertake work related to a business’s expansion to the UK.

The overseas organisation which is expanding into the UK must be registered with the Home Office to sponsor expansion workers and assign a Certificate of Sponsorship to the individual(s).

The individual(s) to be sponsored must work for the overseas business as either a senior manager or specialist employee and have been employed by that organisation for at least 12 months. This can be avoided if the individual(s) earn over £73,900 per year or are a Japanese national doing work for a Japanese company expanding into the UK.

The role that they will fulfil must be on the list of the Home Office’s eligible occupations and pay at least £42,400 per year or the ‘going rate’ for you specific role, whichever is higher.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.