Skip to content

I have been married/in a civil partnership before – will this affect my application?

If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you will need to provide evidence to show that this relationship has been dissolved and that you are/were able to marry or enter into a civil partnership again. This may include a decree absolute or death certificate of a previous partner.

Read more about this and other questions in our

Partner Visas section.


Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.