Skip to content

Do I need to prove my knowledge of my English as part of my Start-up visa application?

Unless you have already evidenced that your knowledge of English is level B2 or above in a previous successful application, you may need to show your knowledge of English. This can be done if you have:

  • passed an approved English language test with at least CEFR level B2 in reading, writing, speaking and listening; or
  • having a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, gained through study undertaken in a UK school when you were under 18; or
  • a degree level academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by Ecctis (formally UK NARIC) as being equal to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD.

The Home Office provides a list of countries here which are exempt from the English language requirement.

If you are unsure which test you should take, please contact our immigration specialists

Read more about this and other questions in our



Given the fast pace of change, we would stress that this information is designed to be informative, not advisory and represents our understanding of English law and practice as at the date indicated. We would always recommend that you should seek specific guidance on any particular legal issue.

As a hub, we have included references to articles and explainers from third parties. We have no control over and are not responsible for the content, use by you or availability of those third party websites, for any products or services you buy through those sites or for the treatment of any personal information you provide to the third party.