He has a thorough grasp of issues and delivers effectively.
Neil has acted on numerous occasions in Town Planning and Compulsory Purchase Inquiries on behalf of developers, landowners and public sector organisations.
Clients he has advised include Newcastle Airport, Northumberland National Park, English Heritage, Northumbrian Water, The National Trust, the Duke of Northumberland, Barratt, Royal Navy, and Amec.
He has acted on numerous occasions as Advocate at Planning Inquiries on behalf of developers, landowners and public sector clients.
He is rated Band 1 of Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession.
Neil specialises in planning aspects of Energy Law. Clients include residential and commercial developers, estates, retail operators, manufacturers, minerals operators and heritage bodies.
Neil has been referred to in:
- Chambers UK Legal Guide as a highly rated individual and he is also listed in Legal 500 as a leading individual in Commercial Property and Agricultural and Estates. Chambers described him as “a great force, with his excellent advocacy skills and the remarkable way he manages his team and the job.”
- RICS Guide to Legal Experts
- Planning magazine as one of the country’s leading planning solicitors
He has been a member of the Law Society’s Planning and Environmental Law Committee.
Neil’s recent cases and clients include:
- Acting for Northumberland National Park Authority in obtaining planning consent for “The Sill Project”, a £12 million visitor and educational centre situated on a World Heritage Site near the Roman Wall Northumberland. The Sill Project won “National Planning Permission of the Year” in the Planning Magazine Awards 2015.
- Acting for Objectors at a 4 day Public Inquiry into a proposed Compulsory Purchase Order involving the regeneration of Seaton Carew.
- Successfully acting for Brenda Road Holdings Limited in relation to a Planning Appeal against the refusal of planning permission for a large mixed use development consisting of a care home, approximately 300 dwellings, community centre, offices, etc on Teesside.
- Acting for Northumberland National Park Authority at a Public Inquiry into a Northumberland wind farm
- Acting for Newcastle International Airport Limited in respect of an number of proposed wind farm applications including Blyth and Kiln Pit Hill, Northumberland
- Acting for developers of a large anaerobic digestion plant
- Acting for a waste operator in planning aspects of an animal incinerator site
- Successfully acting for client defending a judicial review case involving Planning Enforcement issues concerning a landfill site in Teesside
- Successfully acting for a minerals operator at Public Inquiry involving a quarry extension, restoration of walled garden and Enabling Development
- Successfully acting for clients objecting to a Compulsory Purchase scheme on Teesside