Bernard Hodgson is deemed a 'good, strong advocate who commands a real following among his clients'. He is admired for his tenacity in pursuing clients' interests.
Recent examples of Bernard’s work include:
- Advising a number of local authorities and NHS Trusts in their defence of multiple equal pay claims (the claimants numbering thousands)
- Advising on the conduct of grievances and threat of industrial action arising from a proposed TUPE transfer of services
- Advising on a complex issue of long-term sickness absence and subsequently successfully defending the Employment Tribunal claim
- Successfully defending a significant disability discrimination and whistleblowing claim up to the Employment Appeal Tribunal
- Successfully defending a multi-day Employment Tribunal claim alleging sex discrimination
- Successfully defending a multi-day Employment Tribunal claim alleging age and disability discrimination
- Advising on the terms and conditions of a number of outsourcing arrangements covered by TUPE
- Providing training on recent and prospective employment law developments, both statutory and case law, and including mock tribunals.
Bernard is the only employment lawyer in the region to be accorded the status of “Eminent Practitioner” in the Chambers UK Guide 2017.