Peter is a Consultant in our Employment department and is based in our Manchester office.
Peter has over 30 years’ experience advising on all employment issues from hiring to firing and all the associated issues in between.
Peter has advised companies in all sectors including manufacturing, retail (food and non food), service industries and agriculture. Peter regularly speaks at HR and industry conferences and seminars and Peter has been quoted in and written articles for many journals and in the local press and has been recommended in the Legal 500 on numerous occasions .
Peter has regularly advised members of the public sector as well as many businesses, from very small concerns to employers with national and international employment issues involving thousands of employees. My clients has also included Premiership football clubs, significant high profile leisure outlets, professional service providers, agricultural providers to mainstream supermarkets and also many other types of business in the commercial sector.
Peter has dealt extensively with the Transfer of Undertaking(Protection of Employment) Regulations and other employment legislation, drafting and advising on contracts of employment, policies and procedures and Settlement Agreements. Peter is often involved in schemes of redundancies and discrimination cases. Peter has also been instrumental in handling the exits of senior and board level employees and directors, and advising on both daily operational matters and also on long term strategies for the benefit of commercial clients. Peter has also provided regular support to colleagues conducting corporate transactions, and has been involved in resolving many directorship and shareholder disputes.
When things go wrong, Peter has regularly appeared before the Employment Tribunal, providing a seamless service from the commencement of claims through to conducting the final hearing.
Examples of work undertaken:
- Advising 3 senior Board Directors on their exit from an international company following its acquisition. Successfully negotiating exit packages for each director exceeding 0.5 million pounds.
- Advising 2 directors in an employment and shareholder dispute brought by another director. Successfully obtaining an Employment Tribunal finding that the outgoing director was not an employee, so could not bring a claim for unfair dismissal.
- Successfully defending a business against a claim for Age Discrimination brought before the Tribunal by a disgruntled employee.
- Successfully defending a Transport company against a claim of unfair dismissal and whistleblowing.
- Advising a number of clients generally in connection with agricultural production and the supply to key national retailers, ensuring compliance of their employees and workers for quality standard audits.
- Successfully representing a senior executive following her dismissal, involving allegations of whistleblowing and associated detriment.
- Advising on complex restructures and redundancies within a nationally known manufacturer.
- Successfully challenging the enforceability of restrictive covenants on behalf of a senior executive, enabling him to join a competitor with his client base.